- 150g chestnuts
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 150g pancetta or good quality bacon, diced
- 600g brussel sprouts, core removed and shredded
- 2 tbs unsalted butter
- 180 ml (¾ cup) cream
- freshly ground black pepper
1. Roast and peel chestnuts in the usual way. Chop and set aside.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium heat., add the pancetta and cook gently until it has coloured evenly. Add the shredded sprouts and the butter and continue to cook, stirring frequently.
3. Once the sprouts begin to soften, add the chestnuts and cream and season with black pepper. Bring to the boil then simmer for two to three minutes.
4. To serve, transfer to a serving bowl. This dish is a lovely accompaniment to grilled meats and game.