Chestnut & Bacon Mashed Potato *
Serves 4 (Gluten Free) Print Recipe
- 1kg maris piper potatoes, peeled
and cut in half
- 50g unsalted butter
- 4 rashers of streaky bacon, sliced
- 3 sprigs of rosemary, leaves picked
- 100g vacuum-packed chestnuts
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 50ml double cream (optional)
- Place the potatoes in a large pan of salted water over a high heat. Bring to the boil and cook for 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes are soft and tender or you can break them with a fork. Drain in a colander and let the spuds steam-dry for about 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the chestnuts and bacon and cook for 5 minutes, until crisp, stirring and gently breaking up the chestnuts as you go. Add the rosemary for the last 2 minutes.
- Put the potatoes back in the pan and mash well (the harder you work them, the lighter and fluffier they’ll be). Season, add the nutmeg and stir in the cream, if you fancy, followed by half the bacon and chestnut mixture.
- Sprinkle the rest of the bacon mixture over the mash and serve with roast chicken, bangers or scallops.
Per serving 349 cal13.9g fat (7.6 sat fats).
7.4g protein. 51.8g carbs. 3.6g sugars
*Published in Jamie Magazine Issue 66 February 2016